Benefits of Joining RG
The Benefits of membership of the Richmond Group are significant. They include:
✓ Saturday seminars. Free access to every half-day Saturday seminar/meeting (see Events & Networking). There are normally 6 of these seminars each year.
✓ London weekday seminars. At cost (normally £10 including pub buffet) access to London evening seminars/meetings (see Events & Networking).
✓ Business development. Members introduce work opportunities to the Group. Also, Members often collaborate on business development and client projects.
✓ Peer support. Members are quick to respond to appeals for support and help from other Members. As a Member you can contact each/any Member directly or an exclusive group email gives Members direct and quick access to all other Members.
Some examples of the type of support which Members freely provide to each other include:
- Advice regarding their projects (respecting, of course, requirements for client confidentiality).
- Advice on proposals and bids.
- Expert knowledge about specific sectors.
- Introductions to work opportunities.
- Informal coaching and mentoring.
- Recommendations about suppliers (eg for insurance or technology/software).
- Support and advice at difficult moments (eg if you ever have a lull in work).
✓ Learning and continued professional development. This can be gained, for example:
- Attending and participating in the Saturday morning seminars/meetings.
- Attending our London evening seminars.
- Networking with other Members.
- Working on projects with other Members.
✓ Networking. Membership enables many opportunities for networking with other members and visitors to our meetings. Networking is also facilitated with our exclusive “all member” email and through our Linkedin Group.
✓ Use of the Richmond Group brand. Members can use the Richmond Group brand to demonstrate that they are a professional consultant and qualified member of an established network and community of expert independent consultants. We also encourage our members to undertake activities (e.g. draft white papers, conduct original research etc.), which enhances the brand image and complements their own business development initiatives.
Here you can create the content that will be used within the module.
How to Join The Richmond Group
- Your primary occupation is as an independent management consultant.
- You will be sole trader or member of a firm with no more than 5 Principals.
- You are a Fellow or Full Member of a professional institution acceptable to Richmond Group. Such institutions a) operate codes of conduct and b) have CPD requirements which are either directly connected with management consulting or with the professional area of advice/consultancy you offer clients. Some examples of approved institutions include: Institute of Consulting; CIPD, CIPS, ACA, CIPFA, ICE and IET. Contact our Membership Secretary, Chris Edge, to ask about institutions to which you belong.
You have 5 years’ experience of working as a management consultant. These need not be consecutive or in your current practice. They can include time spent as an internal consultant.
The Joining Process
Step 1: Attend 2 Saturday seminars/meetings
It is recommended that you attend at least 2 of our Saturday seminars/meetings before applying. This will enable you to get to know us and vice versa. All visitors are assigned a host to help you to get the most from your attendance and participation.
Non-members’ first 2 Saturday seminars/meetings are free of charge (although if you stay for lunch there would be a small charge). You can book online your place at Saturday seminars: go to the Events & Networking section of this website.
Step 2: Application form and CV
You will need to complete and return an Application Form, your CV and the Declaration. You can download the forms here:
Email the completed application form and a CV to our CEO Chris Edge
Bring your signed Declaration when you meet the Membership Secretary (Step 3)
Step 3. Meet our Membership Secretary
Meet our Membership Secretary and/or another Richmond Group member at one of our Saturday meetings. The purpose of the meeting will be to answer any questions you have, discuss your expectations of RG, and understand your professional background and the nature of your consultancy activities.
You will need to provide your signed Declaration at this meeting.
Step 4. Council approval
After your meeting, the Membership Secretary will make a recommendation to our Council (Board of Directors) and will advise you of the Council’s decision.
Step 5: Joining fee and annual subscription
You will be invoiced for the one-off joining fee and pro-rata annual subscription. As soon as you have paid this you will be a Member. Welcome!
Step 6: Membership Certificate and Badge
You will be given your framed Membership Certificate and your personal Richmond Group badge.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact our CEO Chris Edge.
Full Members and Associate Members pay the same annual fee.
The annual membership fee as of 1st January 2018 is only £195 (+VAT), this is after a prompt payment discount of £50 (+VAT) on the full annual fee of £245 (+VAT). New members are charged the annual fee pro rata depending on when they join during the year.
There is a one-off administration joining fee of £50 (+VAT).