I spent fifteen years as a marketing academic with close links to the business world, first at Bradford University, then at Cranfield School of Management, and subsequently as one of the founders of The Management Centres Buckingham, the first Action Leaning postgraduate centre in Europe.
Much of my academic life was spent in the business world on long-term research and consultancy assignments, as Marketing Director of an academic publisher, and as Chairman to a specialist electronics company.
Following a period in the Middle East I was invited to stand in for a lecturer at the Civil Service College. This led to my running a number of management development courses for senior grades in the Cilvil Service, and in individual Departments including the Manpower Services Commission and the Health & Safety Executive.
After this I founded Kennedy Business Solutions, a management consultancy committed to supporting organisations undergoing change. Early assignments were concentrated in parts of the Civil Service transitioning to become Agencies. The range of clients expanded to include some of the larger Housing Associations, differing aspects of the NHS, and a variety of businesses that did not cluster in any particular segment.
Working as an organisation development practitioner, typical assignments involve:
• Governance Reviews to assess whether the current management practices can be more efficient and effective
• Restructuring organisations to embed accountability, remove duplication and redundant roles, and which are designed to be 'fit for purpose
• Creating an authority matrix so that people throughout the organisation know when they have the accountability and discretion to operate independently, and when and how they need to work with others to secure the outcome required
• Working with Senior Executives and Boards to develop a code of behaviour that they will adhere to and cascade throughout the organisation to develop the desired culture
• Facilitating Boards and Senior Executives to deliver decisions that are clear, consistent, aligned with the long-term strategy, and to which there is genuine commitment to implementation.
In all assignments I am committed to support the people and the organisation to be as effective and resilient as possible, and able to adapt to changing market conditions.
Since having both hips replaced in 2008 the passion that keeps me grounded is hill walking. I moved to the Peak District for easy access to the hills. I have also become an ardent litter picker. It is truly astounding how much litter is exposed once the hedgerows have died back.